Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Few of My Favourite Things

It’s been a pretty momentous week in my little corner of the world; all three kids started back at school on Tuesday, (a whole new era has begun…) and our youngest had his sixth birthday yesterday. He wanted an “excavator” cake, but, and I quote, “not one you look down on, one with the arm going up into the air – like a REAL one has.” I don’t mind a cakely challenge, so after a bit of Googling, came up with the pastiche below:


He was satisfied, but did want to know where the digger’s bucket was. I told him it was hidden under the “dirt” (i.e. leftover cake offcuts), and that in any case, you never saw them on birthday cake excavators, only real ones, which he accepted happily. Evidently six is still young enough not to question the wisdom of Mum ;)

On to Layout Five. Since I always get a wee bit nostalgic around birthdays, Mike’s the subject of this one:





I went thoroughly self-indulgent on this one, and stuck with my scrapbooking absolute favourites: it’s all about the photo, it keeps to neutrals, embellishments are minimal, and text is used as a design element.

I think if the Scrapbooking Gods suddenly decreed, “thou must stick to one style only”, I’d be satisfied working like this all the time. Well, maybe with just the occasional foray into Embellishment Land....

Have a wonderful week :)

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing week for you. Wow, all big school kids now. This is a pretty nice layout. Must have been the company you kept while working on it. xxx
    Love the cake. I will be putting in an order for a cake for my birthday in August. I'll think of a challenge for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big week indeed! Please pass on a huge Happy Birthday to Mike from me! Hope all went really well with the kidlets heading back to school and that you coped ok without the company at home :) Absolutely love this layout. I agree with Chez.. The company you had must have inspired this masterpiece :)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle, I found your blog after you sent this page to Tiff at 'This One's a Winner' and so glad I did!
    Your cake is amazing and I love your page about Mike but above all I love the way you write. It's thoughtful and thought proking and will have me pondering things. Thanks heaps for sharing, I'll be following you now :-)

    ReplyDelete