Thursday, March 17, 2011

A note to self

Hello and happy Friday to you! Blogging has taken a back seat this week, I'm afraid; every spare moment has been spent engrossed in a book. I've been reading "The Sunne In Splendour" by Sharon Penman, and I have a feeling it's set to become one of the old friends on my bookshelves that I return to again and again. It tells the life of Richard III (stay with me...), who's been reviled as one of history's great villains. The book is the author's attempt to "reclaim" him, so to speak, from what she sees as the vicious rewriting of his history by his enemies after his death. It's just wonderful.

Plus, it got me to thinking about just how powerful - and enduring - the written word is. It can utterly destroy a reputation, or it can celebrate, inspire, encourage and heal. (Can you see a link to scrapbooking hoving into view here?) Made a mental note to re-commit to telling the stories of my family's lives. Stories matter. Stories endure. And when it comes to my family, my taking the time to record their stories is tangible proof that they were deeply loved and appreciated.

And so on to Layout Eleven (done prior to this week, obviously!)



These shots were just practising-with-camera-settings ones initially, but when I looked at them, the splash of red in a sea of steel grey seemed to symbolise Mike's personality nicely. They made me smile, and when partnered with some "Alphabet Soup" papers, became one of my "Friday" layouts. Good fun.

Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. hehe...I'm glad I kept with you...lol...your book sounds very interesting! I love it when you read something that really resonates with you...it is the power of words...amazing stuff :) I guess that really does also highlight the importance of journalling and recording our stories for generations to come.
    Your layout is stunning too! I love the gorgoeus brightly coloured background and those stunning pics. Have a great weekend lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you see this stuff? I mean, how can you just... put things on a piece of paper and make it look utterly effortless and amazing?

    ReplyDelete